Basketball referee in Germany

Rosenrot

Nachwuchsspieler
Hallo Leute!
My girlfriend is a basketball referee and she wants to continue doing this in Germany, although we have no idea where to start. Should we approach some local organisation (we are in Berlin)? Any references would be greatly appreaciated)
Thanks in advance for answers!

2phunkey4u

Nachwuchsspieler

Rosenrot

Nachwuchsspieler
Hey 2phunkey4u,
thanks fo the info. You mean referees are tied to a specific club?
Also she doesn't speak German yet, is it worth trying in english before she will learn proper German?

2phunkey4u

Nachwuchsspieler
In the highest professional leagues, refs are tied to the DBB, the German Basketball Federation (Deutscher Basketball-Bund). For the local amateur leagues, refs are tied to clubs, indeed. In my state (Bundesland) of Rhineland-Pfalz, it sort of works like this: the leagues are organized by a state-level entity (which is basically an association of all the local clubs), and the clubs "contribute" the refs to the games. I am sure it works similarly in Berlin.

Not to discourage her, but I think that some proficiency in German is necessary. She might need to go through an administrative process to check whether she could get a German license outright or would have to do some additional training. Those trainings will likely only be available in German. Does your girlfriend have a FIBA license, or something different, like for instance US college-level?

Rosenrot

Nachwuchsspieler
Hey, sorry for late reply.
Requirement to speak Deutsch makes perfect sense)
She have a license, which, as far as I understand, allows her to judge state-level games, although lately she mostly judged youth team games and college championships (including 3x3).
Anyways, thanks for the priceless info, 2phunkey4u!

Oben