Artest to Pacers: Trade me

Joe Berry

Kosmopolitische NBA-Koryphäe
Pacers deal Artest to Kings for Peja

Update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304512

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers have agreed to trade Ron Artest to the Sacramento Kings in exchange for Peja Stojakovic pending league approval, ESPN's Jim Gray has confirmed Tuesday.

The deal closes a chapter in the Pacers' latest drama involving the volatile star forward.

Ron Artest
Small Forward
Indiana Pacers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
16 19.4 4.9 2.2 45.992 61.157

Artest was a key component to a team that was expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He led the league in steals and was the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game before being deactivated after publicly requesting a trade in early December.

In five years with the Pacers, Artest was an All-Star once and was the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2003-04.

Pacers GM Larry Bird said the Pacers had been interested in Corey Maggette of the Los Angeles Clippers, but there was "no question" that Maggette's sprained left foot affected the process. Maggette averaged 21.7 points in 13 games before getting injured in early December.

The Pacers have lost four of their last five games, including Monday to the Atlanta Hawks, who have the NBA's worst record.

Artest to Pacers: Trade me

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051210/SPORTS04/512100493

Exclusive interview
Artest to pacers: Trade me
'I think they will be a better team without me'

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Injured forward Ron Artest wants to return to the court, but not to the Indiana Pacers.
In a 20-minute interview Saturday, Artest for the first time publicly said he wants to be traded. He calmly described the issues he has with his role on the team, his head coach and his past, and said the team would be better off without him.

"I still think my past haunts me here," Artest said. "I think somewhere else I'm starting fresh. I'm coming in with baggage but people already know about it and how I'm going to be. Either they're going to be for me or they're not going to trade for me. Here I think my past haunts me.
"I think they will be a better team without me."
Coach Rick Carlisle called his forward "one of the elite talents in the league."
"You never want to lose someone like that," Carlisle said Saturday.
The Pacers lost Artest for 73 games after the Nov. 19 brawl last season. They stuck with him even though he said his suspension essentially ruined their season. Now the Pacers might be forced to trade him in order to salvage an already trying season.
"I think I cause a lot of problems here," said Artest, who has missed the past two games with a wrist injury. "If the trade rumors, if there is any truth -- maybe it won't be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me."
Team President Larry Bird was scouting in Europe and could not be reached for comment. Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh was surprised by Artest's request and said the franchise would decide the next step.
"I've never heard him say anything before," said Walsh, who acquired Artest in a trade in 2002. "He hasn't talked to me, and I see him every day."
Walsh called this latest development a distraction and chided Artest's handling of the situation.
"He can always come up and talk to me or Larry Bird," Walsh said. "From here on out, I expect Ronnie to be a professional. . . . (This) isn't the best way to get a trade done."
Until Saturday, Artest's season had been relatively stress-free. He remains one of the team's hardest workers. He hasn't irritated game officials and has reached out more to teammates off the court.
It's on the court that he's had problems fitting in with Carlisle's system.
Artest is second on the team in shot attempts and scoring at 19.4 points, but he thinks his style disrupts the offense.
"I'm so demanding of the ball. It's not my fault," he said. "Every time somebody is on me it's a mismatch. It messes up the offense. I like Coach (Carlisle) as a person, but I don't like playing for Coach. I like my team, though."
The Pacers run a structured offense in which Carlisle calls out most plays. That frustrates Artest, who has complained about the system in the past. Artest also took issue with practices. He thinks they're too soft.
"Don't get it twisted. He's a very good coach," Artest said. "He knows what he's doing. I personally don't like playing for him. I would not want to see him get fired for me after all the immaturity I've been through with this organization."
Getting offers for Artest won't be difficult -- Artest is a former All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year. But getting equal value in return could be. Artest makes $6.5 million this season, paltry by All-Star standards. Because of the salary cap, NBA trades are as much about matching salaries as swapping talent. Most players of Artest's ability make much more money, meaning the Pacers won't get a player of his caliber unless they include other Pacers in the deal.
What teams interest Artest?
His hometown New York Knicks.
"If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up," Artest said. "I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There's a lot of players I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind. If it was a perfect world, I would be going to New York."
Artest seeks a system in which he can score more, which would lead to a bigger contract when his expires in 2008. He has a player option for $8.5 million for the 2008-09 season.
"Here I don't think I'm going to have a chance to maximize my opportunity for my potential," he said. "When I first got here, all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense, but what I see is players like Kobe (Bryant), Tracy (McGrady), (Gilbert) Arenas and Jermaine (O'Neal) getting the opportunity to maximize their potential on the court and to get paid. I'm out of my character a little bit here.
"I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense on the wing. So when it's that time, there's no question what type of player I am."
Artest said he will take a few more days to decide when he is ready to return from his wrist injury.
But the question is: Will he be a Pacer when he returns?

Ja is denn heut schon Weihnachten !?!
biggrinsanta.gif
:laugh2:

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:

Joe Berry

Kosmopolitische NBA-Koryphäe
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051210/SPORTS04/512100494

December 10, 2005

Bob Kravitz
Tick-tock: Time's up for Artest

Ron Artest can't come back now, not after this, not after saying he wants to get away from coach Rick Carlisle and go someplace where he can get bigger numbers and a fresh start.
He must be traded.

Now.

Artest, an incorrigible bum who should have been set free long ago, should not be allowed to spend another night soiling the uniform of the Indiana Pacers.
If he wants out -- and he made that abundantly clear when he spoke with The Star's Mike Wells -- then the Pacers must accommodate him, and accommodate him immediately.
Before he destroys a second straight season.
Before he further poisons what has often been a toxic locker room.
If Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh don't do something dramatic and immediate, they are completely asleep at the wheel -- something they've long been guilty of when it involves Teflon Ron.
If Artest is allowed back in that locker room, what would management be telling Carlisle? That it backs Artest? That Artest can say or do just about anything and be forgiven? If Artest is still here one week from now, Carlisle needs to give management an ultimatum:
It's him or me.
And it needs to be Carlisle.
The Pacers head coach rubs some people the wrong way -- former and current players have chafed under his micromanaging, run-the-play style -- but he wins every place he coaches and he wins under all kinds of circumstances. When Artest was gone last season, running a daddy day care and promoting his CD, Carlisle was doing one of the most remarkable coaching jobs in recent memory, taking the shell of a team to the second round of the playoffs.
If Artest is allowed to return, what would that say to the other players in the locker room? The ones who presumably care more about winning a title than getting their statistics? The ones who spent all last season fighting through suspensions and injuries and playing some of the most inspiring, unselfish basketball this team has played in years?
If it wasn't obvious to Pacers' management long ago, it should be now: The guy is a hopeless case. He's a wonderful basketball player who possesses great passion for the game, but, ultimately, he is a team-killer, a selfish lout who says one thing and does another.
Anybody remember how, during the whole contrived Ron Across America Tour, he made a point of committing himself to the team, insisting he would happily sacrifice his numbers for the greater good?
That lasted, what, three months?
Now, he's saying he wants to play the role of Kobe, or LeBron, or maybe Gilbert Arenas, "to maximize my opportunity of my potential."
The "Real Ron,'' indeed.
Anybody remember how, during that same tour, he made a point of thanking the Pacers for all their patience and understanding, and how, in return, he owed them nothing less than a championship?
Now he's saying (and please don't snicker as you read this one), "I don't think everybody is treated the same way around here,'' and "I think they will be a better team without me."
After all this organization has done for him -- supported (enabled) him, counseled him, even lied for him -- this was his way of showing gratitude.
Thanks, Ron.
And good riddance.
If ever there was a time to pull the trigger on an Artest-for-Peja Stojakovic deal, this is it. The question, though, is whether the Sacramento Kings are now willing to make it happen. In the past, they've been reticent to part with the popular Stojakovic, but the Kings are struggling and look like a team in desperate need of a change.
Somehow, some way, Bird and Walsh have to make a deal, or do whatever it takes to get Artest out of here. Even if they can't get equal value for him -- and if it's not a deal for Stojakovic, it's unlikely they'll get good value -- it doesn't matter. Get a bent rim. And a slug to be named later. Anything. Cut the franchise's losses.
In the end, Artest didn't make this mess, even if he's the one with dirt on his hands. It's like the Chris Rock routine when the comic says the tiger who attacked Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy didn't go crazy.
"That tiger went tiger," Rock said.
In this case, Artest went Artest.
The Pacers knew what they were getting when they dealt for him. And they've been front-row spectators to the running psychodrama ever since. So how could they have failed to see that it would eventually come to this? They knew -- knew -- he was a ticking time bomb and would eventually take the entire franchise with him. But still, three of the best basketball men in the league -- Bird, Walsh and Carlisle -- sat by idly and let it happen. They believed their own fiction because they wanted to believe it, because when Artest is right, he's a great player and an even greater bargain.
Now they are going to pay again for placing their faith in him, forced to deal him at a time when it will be next-to-impossible to get any kind of value for him.
The Pacers cannot complain, though. They lost that right a long time ago. This is their mess, and now, it's time to clean it up.

Bob Kravitz is a columnist for The Indianapolis Star. Call him at (317) 444-6643 or e-mail bob.kravitz@indystar.com.

ola.gif

TrierAir

Nachwuchsspieler
Das wird ja mal spannend, aber Artest für Stojakovic wird ja schon lange diskutiert, obwohl die Pacers dann mMn ein bisschen doof wären...

Ich bin gespannt... :gitche: :ricardo: :confused:

Ruben

Nachwuchsspieler
Ron Ron braucht wohl wieder Beachtung, weil er zur Zeit nicht spielen kann.

Für mich unverständlich, wie er einen Trade fordern kann. :gitche: Das Team besitzt Meisterschaftschancen und hat immer an ihn geglaubt, auch in schlechten Zeiten. Aber das hat der gute wohl schon vergessen.

Und wenn er denkt, er könnte seine Schandtaten mit einem Wechsel vergessen machen, so sei dir sicher, Ron, das negative Image wird dir noch einige Jahre anhängen.

Kobe 8

Crossover-Redakteur
Wow, das ist ja eine überraschende Wende im Fall Artest, aber nach den Sachen, die Donnie Walsh da sagt, sind die Pacers wohl auch nicht abgeneigt oder haben wohl schon vorher nach Abnehmern für Artest gesucht, scheint es.

Eines steht fest: Die Pacers werden wohl kaum gleichwertiges Talent für Artest zurückbekommen und so viele Optionen werden sie da wohl auch nicht haben. Viele Spieler sind derzeit nämlich nicht auf dem Trading Block. Peja Stojakovic wäre eine Möglichkeit, dann ein Package der Knicks mit Artest+Foster+Pollard für Richardson und Antonio Davis (beispielsweise) oder idealerweise Boston in einem Trade für Paul Pierce, wo dann Artest, Tinsley und Foster rausgehen würden.

Aufgrund von Artests niedrigen Gehalt müssen die Pacers also schon einiges abgeben, wenn sie was gutes für Artest erhalten wollen...

Gast1512

Nachwuchsspieler
Surprise, Surprise...Artest will getradet werden? Kann ich absolut nicht verstehen, er ist zurzeit gerade dabei die Scoring Option No1 bei den Pacers zu werden und trotzdem fordert er bei einem Contender einen Trade? :gitche:

Einzige Trade-Kandidaten die mir spontan einfallen, die auch halb o. ganz auf dem Block sind, sind Lamar Odom und Peja Stojakovic. Wobei ich denke das beim ersten die Lakers ihn, wegen Phillum&der Triangle, kaum ziehen lassen werden. Für den zweiten würde Indy wohl mehr Gegenwert fordern.

Eine weitere Alternative ist, dass die Pacers ihre s5 von Tinsley; Jackson; Artest; Foster; O'Neal; Foster auf Tinsley; Jasikevicius; Jackson; O'Neal; X umstellen wollen. Zwar spielen dann Jasikevicius und Jackson nicht auf ihrer primärerer Position, was beide aber nicht stören würde.

Auch ein Power Forward könnte Indiana holen und dann würde die gleiche, oben genannte Starting Five, realisiert, nur O'neal würde auf die 5 gehen.

Ach Indiana kann sich viel einfallen lassen, nur es ist halt schwierig wegen Artests Gehalt.

fatal errero

Nachwuchsspieler
Wenn Stern etwas sinnvolles tun will, dann sollte er Spielern verbieten, öffentlich Trades zu fordern, anstatt sich über die Länge der Shorts zu mokieren. Das kotzt mich langsam schon sowas von an, echt unvorstellbar :kotz: :mad: :wall: .

Ich mag den Coach nicht :cry: ; ich will mehr Geld :cry: ; ich will nicht mehr nur Defense spielen :cry: ; ich will so sein wie Kobe und Lebron :cry: ...verdammt, das kann man alles auch intern regeln ohne großes Medientrara, welches den Club beim verhandeln in eine schlechte Positon bringt. Aber soetwas wie Loyalität ist heutzutage wohl ein Fremdwort und viele Spieler - die Millionen und Abermillionen verdienen - würden ihre Seele wohl für ein Mikro und ne Kamera verkaufen. Ehrlich...einfach nur :kotz:

J-Smooth5

Nachwuchsspieler
obwohl ich ihn ganz o.k finde, ein charakekterloser zug von ron-ron.... :(
jetzt haben die pacers so lange auf ihn vertraut, haben ihm den rücken gestärkt und nun....
ich versteh nicht, was artest will........indiana ist mMn zwar etwas schwächer als detroit,aber dann kommen die pacers....( osten) sie sind ein meisterschaft-contender, geben ihm mehr bälle als o´neal......
da ist bestimmt was hinter den kulissen passiert, was nicht an die öffentlichkeit kommt....wenn er schon getradet werden soll, dann nach mo-town,dass wäre doch nice :D

Sleazy

Nachwuchsspieler
Naja, ich finde auch, dass viel mehr im Internen Bereich passiert sein muss um diesen Schritt - öffentlich einen Trade zu fordern - zu wagen.

Als ich letztens Spiele von den Pacers sah, hatte ich mir auch Gedanken gemacht, ob Artest noch so in die Mannschaft reinpasst wie letzte Saison.

Zu den Rumours bzgl des Trades zwischen Peja und Ron kann ich nur sagen, dass er richtig Geil wäre, Peja im Dress von den Pacers zu sehen.
Das wäre ein krasses Dreieck mit J.O. in der Mitte und Jackson und Stojakovic auf dem Perimeter.

Abwarten was passiert. Ich bin jedenfalls gespannt.

Btw. Hi Leuts, mein erster Post. Hab endlich den Weg hierher gefunden und hoffe viel Spass hier zu haben. Haut rein.

Gruß Sleazy

TheEnforcer

Nachwuchsspieler
Sleazy schrieb:
Naja, ich finde auch, dass viel mehr im Internen Bereich passiert sein muss um diesen Schritt - öffentlich einen Trade zu fordern - zu wagen.

Als ich letztens Spiele von den Pacers sah, hatte ich mir auch Gedanken gemacht, ob Artest noch so in die Mannschaft reinpasst wie letzte Saison.

Zu den Rumours bzgl des Trades zwischen Peja und Ron kann ich nur sagen, dass er richtig Geil wäre, Peja im Dress von den Pacers zu sehen.
Das wäre ein krasses Dreieck mit J.O. in der Mitte und Jackson und Stojakovic auf dem Perimeter.

Abwarten was passiert. Ich bin jedenfalls gespannt.

Btw. Hi Leuts, mein erster Post. Hab endlich den Weg hierher gefunden und hoffe viel Spass hier zu haben. Haut rein.

Gruß Sleazy
a070.gif
Sleazy

Bin auch erst seit 2wochen hier und muss sagen GEILES FORUM!
k010.gif

Gast00

Nachwuchsspieler
Das habe ich mir jetzt nur ausgedacht und nirgends gelesen, aber ich halte einen Trade mit New York für eine realistische Option. Artest kommt aus NYC, hat bei St. John's gespielt und ist bis heute sauer, nicht von den Knicks gedraftet worden zu sein (die wählten stattdessen Frede Weis :D). Von seiner Seite dürfte das also schon mal klargehen.

Wir wissen, dass die Pacers bei einem Artest-Trade sportlich verlieren würden, doch sie könnten finanziell gewinnen, indem sie den niedrigen Artest-Vertrag an den hohen von z.B. Austin Croshere koppeln und die beiden zusammen abgeben.

Der Trade, an den ich gedacht habe:

Artest und Croshere gegen Antonio Davis (, Trevor Ariza?) und zwei First-Rounder.

Sportlich ein Disaster, klar, aber er würde finanzielle Flexibilität geben, Jasikevicius, Jones und vor allem Granger mehr Minuten erlauben, mit Davis einen Indiana-erfahrenen Bigman bringen und dazu zwei First-Rounder für die Zukunft.

Auch ein typischer Zeke-Trade, zwei First-Rounder abzugeben, und vielleicht würde er ja Ariza opfern, den ich als Vielleicht oben in Klammern dazugeschrieben habe.

Meinungen?

Sleazy

Nachwuchsspieler
Hm, ich glaube sollten die Pacers den Trade wirklich wagen, wird es kein zukunftorientierer Trade sein. Die Pacers sind mit Titelambitionen in die Saison gestartet und haben nun auch eine gute Ausgangslage.
Mit deinem vorgeschlagenen Trade würden sie zwar viel für die Zukunft gewinnen, jedoch für diese Saison einiges verlieren.

Den Trade von der Knicks-Seite aus zu besprechen ist glaube ich nicht nötig. :ricardo: Die machen doch jeden Käse.

Pink_Floydian

Nachwuchsspieler
wie wär's?

Ron Artest in New York City bei den Knicks?
er könnte anstelle von malik rose, anfernee hardaway, taylor spielen.
okay, müsste sich, falls ich nicht falsch liege, mit ariza spielzeit teilen.
was denkt ihr?
(19,4 pts, 4,9 rebs.) eine verstärkung wäre es auf jeden fall.
man könnte ja ariza und die oben genannten spieler gegen artest zu indiana traden.
haltet mich für krank, aber es ist immerhin eine idee...

@ E_M:

hey, du kamst mir zwar zuvor, aber scheinbar dachten wir an das selbe. ;-)

Cold as Ice

Nachwuchsspieler
Billy we belive in You :D , da geht doch was mit mash und der TE, vielleicht wollen die auch reggie miller 2 aka ashton kutcher aka Kyle Korver :D

Indianapacers21

Nachwuchsspieler
Ich finde Paul Pierce wäre immer noch am besten für die Pacers.
Artest und Pollard für Pierce.

Indiana hätte gleichwertigen Ersatz und in Boston gibt es ja schon seit längerer Zeit Gerüchte um Paul Pierce....

Was meint ihr?

Welche Trade würde noch Sinn machen?

Cold as Ice

Nachwuchsspieler
Indianapacers21 schrieb:
Ich finde Paul Pierce wäre immer noch am besten für die Pacers.
Artest und Pollard für Pierce.

Indiana hätte gleichwertigen Ersatz und in Boston gibt es ja schon seit längerer Zeit Gerüchte um Paul Pierce....

Was meint ihr?

Welche Trade würde noch Sinn machen?
außer stojakovic und pierce wirds wohl keiner spieler geben die ähnlich gut sind, halt in anderen sachen, die derfense kannst vergessen bei stojakovic, aber von sachen passing und Wurf ist er recht gut,Pierce ist einer der Allrounder schlechthin, aber hey Kyle Korver ist doch auch geil :laugh2: :laugh2:

Bulls 4ever

experience_maker schrieb:
Der Trade, an den ich gedacht habe:

Artest und Croshere gegen Antonio Davis (, Trevor Ariza?) und zwei First-Rounder.

Meinungen?

Also dass die Pacers bei einem Artest-Trade höchstwahrscheinlich als Trade-Verlierer darstehen würden sehe ich genau so. Ist gibt keinen ähnlich guten Spieler, der momentan abwanderungswillig ist. Außerdem ist Artest immer ein großes Risiko, warum sollte beispielsweise Golden State dann einen Jason Richardson dafür hergeben?
Nur der von dir vorgeschlagene Trade ist wirklich ZU schlecht. Ich würde der Führung von Indiana jede sportliche Kompetenz absprechen, wenn sie das so durchziehen. Finanzielle Möglichkeiten hin oder her, never ever.

Artest und Pollard für Marquis Daniels und Stackhouse :clown: *träum*

Indianapacers21

Nachwuchsspieler
Also Peja würde für die Pacers nicht so viel Sinn machen,da er keine gute Defense hat und sein Vertrag ausläuft.
Pierce macht mehr Sinn.Ähnlicher Spieler wie Artest und vom Geld her würde es auch gehen,wenn Indiana noch einen Spieler wie Pollard dazu tut.
Macht für beide Teams Sinn.

Die Celtics hätten in Artest einen Star für weniger Geld und langfrisig und würden z.B. mit Pollard(6 Millionen) einen Vertrag haben der nach der aktuellen Saison ausläuft...

Oben