Detroit Pistons 23-24 Saison Thread - Monty's Madness

C-Quense

Nachwuchsspieler
Die Vorzeichen könnten schlechter stehen…

“I love Detroit,” Cunningham said. “I’ve already been listening to Detroit music and things like that, way before the draft lottery, any of that stuff. I was already hip to the culture in Detroit. It’s a city that has a lot of things going on, and I feel like getting the sports team rolling again would be huge for the city. Detroit fits me, that’s the main thing I’m going to try to do is step in and embody the swag that people from Detroit walk with, the people from Michigan in general. They have an underdog, go-get-what-you-want feel to them and I like that about the city.
“If I am able to go in there and be the No. 1 pick, I’m going to try to carry that same swag, in how I walk on the court and make the most out of it and wear the red, white and blue for sure,” he continued.

Joe Berry

Kosmopolitische NBA-Koryphäe
In-depth Analyse von Mike Schmitz über Cunninghams Scoring Moves, aber klar er ist nicht aThLeTiScH genug, das haben wir 2018 ja schonmal gehört über ein anderes 6-8 Prospect... ;)

Am besten gefällt mit der letzte Punkt der gar nix mit Scoring zu tun hat sondern mit seinem beidhändigen Passing:

What gives Cunningham his Doncic-like upside is the promise he shows as a facilitator, which is largely a product of his vision, length and ambidexterity. Cunningham's ability to pass it off a live dribble with either hand makes him a threat anytime he has the ball in his hands and is a big reason I think he projects as a jumbo playmaker who, like Doncic, can generate the majority of a team's offense.
As you see in the clips above, Cunningham is excellent at threading the needle with football-style passes in the open court. In the half court, he's capable of sneaking the ball through tight windows with his off hand -- finding soft spots in the zone, hitting the roller in stride or hitting the weakside corner, something he's been doing comfortably since high school. On top of the actual act of passing the ball with either hand, his ability to dissect pick-and-roll coverages is high-level, as he's extremely patient waiting for the roll man in ball screens and is strong and accurate enough with his weakside skips.

Cunningham might not have as many truly "special" moments as a passer as 19-year-old Doncic did, but he'll eventually become a triple-double threat when surrounded with NBA talent. We watched the number of assists left on the table last season and the lack of spacing to work with at the collegiate level, and Cunningham is clearly a far better floor general than his assist-to-turnover ratio indicates.

Das ist doch mal ein Ausblick!!!
Where does Cunningham rank among former No. 1 picks?
To dispel any lingering notion that Cunningham isn't anything special as far as No. 1 picks are concerned simply because he's not as explosive as a Zion Williamson type, let's take a look at where he stacks up against the past 10 No. 1 picks. Keep in mind, this is in relation to how we felt about the prospects when they were selected first on draft night. With that said, there's clearly a level of revisionist history that creeps in, so this isn't a perfect exercise. Here's a list by year:

2020: Anthony Edwards
2019: Zion Williamson
2018: Deandre Ayton
2017: Markelle Fultz
2016: Ben Simmons
2015: Karl-Anthony Towns
2014: Andrew Wiggins
2013: Anthony Bennett
2012: Anthony Davis
2011: Kyrie Irving

Looking at that list, the only prospects I would absolutely rank ahead of Cunningham at the time of the draft are Zion and Davis. You could certainly make an argument for Irving, given his incredible skill level, yet the 11-game season at Duke raised enough doubts to be the difference-maker there.

Given that we were generally higher on LaMelo Ball than Edwards, on Doncic than Ayton and on Brandon Ingram than Simmons, it's fair to say Cunningham is a superior prospect to Edwards, Ayton and Simmons entering draft night. I was as high as anyone on the Washington version of Fultz coming out of college, yet Cunningham is 3 inches taller and far more versatile while still possessing a lot of the same shot creation I loved about Fultz as a prep star. Towns was a great prospect in his own right, but Cunningham's positional attractiveness and two-way potential give him the edge there.

On top of all that, you could certainly make the case that Cunningham is as ready to impact winning as any prospect on the list was, based on what he did first at Montverde and then at Oklahoma State, when he dragged a middle-of-the-road team to the Big 12 title game and NCAA tournament.

Simply put, there's an argument to be made that Cunningham is the third-best top pick we've seen in the past decade, which would lead me to project him as an All-Star in his first two or three years in the NBA and a longtime All-NBA type of player.

nbatibo

NBA Mockdraft-Champ 2022
Zur Sicherheit aus dem Draft-Thread verschoben. War mir dann doch zu heiß…
:D

758AAC65-DAFF-449B-93A9-A211632F518B.jpeg

PS: Bitte (noch) nicht zu ernst nehmen, Betonung liegt hier aber trotzdem auf „noch nicht“…
:saint:

nbatibo

NBA Mockdraft-Champ 2022
308F7AAA-851F-4B5C-A09A-E43C0611E8F3.jpeg

PS: Retro-Logo #1, hab ich mich damals immer gefreut wenn bei Kellogg‘s die „Scheckkartenhülle“ der Pistons dabei war, obwohl ich erst etwas später zum Basketball kam….
:D

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Joe Berry

Kosmopolitische NBA-Koryphäe
Zuletzt bearbeitet:

sonic00

Doppel Nullagent
OKC bietet bisher nur SGA und den Pick 6 für die Nummer 1. Klarer Fail würde ich sagen. Jeder weiß um ihre Assets, gerade bei den Picks. Da muss dann schon deutlich mehr kommen. #3, SGA,+Lottery 2022 wäre da ein angemessener Preis.
Ich würde aber selbst das noch nicht machen.

Oben