Sportforen NBA Fantasy Draft - Draft Diary

dASheep1

Nachwuchsspieler
EarlMonroe schrieb:
There are rumors, that a 6-1 Chicago-born guard is going nuts, because a german sports writer denied him the status of having been the best player on a championship team.

Ansonsten: Welcher 6-1 Guard aus Chicago? :confused:

Isiah Thomas anyone?

Es ging um einen PG der bester Spieler eines Champs war außer Magic, oder nicht?

earl-monroe

Nachwuchsspieler
White House sources report about the US government considering an embargo against Germany, because only two months after Dirk's title run no one seems to remember any other former Finals MVPs.

H

Homer

BSPN Page 2 schrieb:
The Big SFNBAFD Running Diary – Part II
by Homer Simmons

In Life, there are good days and bad days. On a good day you might get laid by your dream girl, you might be a Celtics-fan in 2008 or you might be a German in 2011. On a bad day, you might believe your 7-1 center is a good guy until he punches a 5-10 imp while your team gets swept, your superstar player might piss on the whole state of Ohio (ok, in Ohio that might qualify as a ‘normal day in the office’) or you might forget that the guy who almost killed Basketball in New York City actually was a fantastic Basketball player in the past.
Yes, I forgot Isiah. You should have seen my good friend Earl making fun of me when he told me. I even didn’t get it the first time. Anyway, there is a positive side to that. As I am a basketball writer for BSPN, I can basically write whatever I want and still get paid. I mean, did you ever see what John Hollinger is doing? It’s like being a 7 foot guy who loves eating hamburgers (a lot of hamburgers) meeting up with the very same Isiah to negotiate a new contract. You cannot do wrong! (In case of the 7-foot guy you might even attract Pat Riley a few years later. Pat freakin’ Riley. That is how good life can be) So, let’s just ignore the fact right now (be sure, Earl will bring it to the table every time we hang out until I die) and continue:

Pick 17 (Sefant77): Kevin Love
Sefant is clearly in Eff’ You Mode. Let’s recap: First the commish steals his favorite player with dubious methods. Then he gets a me-first, me-second, me-third Point Guard who almost killed Kevin Durant. And now he picks the biggest stat-padder in basketball history. Do you remember Ricky Davis throwing the Ball against the backboard for that Triple Double? Love actually does the same thing 5 times a game. Of course, it looks a bit better because he just plays volleyball with the backboard without jumping. But still. Amazing.
And now consider the worst Pick-and-Roll Duo you can imagine. You would want a shoot-first Point Guard without a jumpshot and a flat-footed Power Forward who couldn’t get in the lane quickly if his life depends on it. Yes, I just described Westbrook/Love. ‘Nough Said.

Pick 18 (Vash): Andrew Bogut
Vash gets possibly the second best Center in Basketball (discounting Yao and Oden for Injury- and Bynum for Head-Injury reasons). Unfortunately, Bogut only dresses every third night and makes Shaq look like Ray Allen at the Free-Throw Line. I am very curious how the voters will judge this, I know how I would.

Pick 19 (Sm0ke): Manu Ginobili
Euro-Time! Ginobili and Gasol together in one team. Two awkward floppers with bad hair and the tendency to not play Basketball but some sort of twisted European version of the sport (did you ever see Manu take a normal dribble? EVER?). Anyway, the pairing makes sense for this team. Manu can be the Go-to-Guy on Offense but must be hidden on Defense, Pau cannot be the go-to-guy on Offense but thrives with an elite wing scorer. And in this sense there are not many left to get here. Perhaps Paul Pierce…but this is the no-Celtics draft anyway. I hate Sportforen.

Pick 20 (Mango): Kevin Garnett
A Celtic was drafted! Horray! Pairing Garnett with Duncan sounds a lot like “All-NBA 2005” but that doesn’t matter. Both are still capable defenders and will make it difficult for everybody to score. Now Team Mango needs scoring himself as both are not regularly able to chip in 20 Points or more. Anyhow, Sportsguy II has a preliminary favorite. I hope they’ll play in Green.

Pick 21 (cudi): LaMarcus Aldridge
Team cudi pairs Deron Williams with LaMarcus Aldridge, the dark horse of 2011. Now THAT is a Pick-and-Roll combo. Just consider what Deron did when he was flanked by Carlos Boozer. Now he has a big who is actually mobile and has real range. They obviously lack the true superstar but that is the issue when you pick this late in the first round.

Pick 22 (madferit): Paul Pierce
Celtic No.2 is off the board and will combine his skills with Amare. Defense might be an issue here but am I the only one who thinks Pierce/Stoudemire might be better than Anthony/Stoudemire?

Pick 23 (Mav007): Andrew Bynum
Mav007 gets the Dwarfslayer. A brainless super-athletic center with all the talent and skills in the world (and a broken Knee). And he pairs him with Chris Paul, the guy who broke Bynum’s ankles as recently as April without breaking a sweat. There are more jokes than I can count.
But consider this: The best playmaker in the world gets a super-athletic big who loves lob passes…hmm…

Pick 24 (bigdog8): Zach Randolph
Team Bigdog wants to outscore and outrebound everyone. That is their only chance anyway since a Melo/Randolph combo won’t outsmart anyone, that’s for sure. Let’s hope bigdog city closes nightclubs and the red-light district in time, otherwise this may get ugly.

Pick 25 (Bulls 4ever): Rajon Rondo
Rajon Rondo. Alley-Oop. Blake Griffin. Wow. This sounds like a fun team. Except the fact that your best two guys can’t consistently make 15-footers. Damn.

Pick 26 (Fuffie): Al Horford, Pick 27 (G-SUS): Al Jefferson, Pick 28 (Irenicus): Tyson Chandler and Pick 29 (Night Hawk): Marc Gasol
Everybody needs a big…and these guys try to snatch them early (see rule 1). Kobe gets his young Pau. Another highly-skilled Forward/Center hybrid with range and rebounding. Wade gets a guy who will happily take the alley-oops after D-Wade sliced through the lane and KD gets a bruiser who can score with his back to the basket. All understandable. But Derrick Rose gets Al Jefferson. Somebody who doesn’t defend, can’t pass and most importantly can’t run the Pick and Roll. Are you kidding me?

Pick 30 (The_Gr8) Steve Nash
And they are united again! Nash and Nowitzki might just be the best offensive duo in this draft. Consider that Dirk was unstoppable when 70-year-old Jason Kidd, the cockiest choker in league history or some middle-american dwarf ran the Pick-and-Pop. Steve Nash brings him on a whole new level (I know that sounds mental. But Steve Nash brings EVERYONE on a whole new level. Even if that level doesn’t exist. He is a wizard). Did I hear anybody say “60-50-90 club”?
BTW: Defense is overrated anyway. Really.

Pick 31 (Rainmaker) Ray Allen and Pick 32 (Barea) Kevin Martin
In today’s NBA you need shooters, just ask the 2011 Mavericks. Team Rainmaker and Team Dwarf have two of the best players in the world and want to give them space. Rainmaker even manages to get somebody who likes playing in the fourth quarter. If he gets more of those people might forget that his team will lose in the clutch anyway. Just re-watch the Finals (and while you’re at it, smile). It’s a shame that Jesus has to play with somebody who only shows up for 36 minutes. Barea then gets the homeless guy’s Ray Allen. Next to Dwight Howard he will have space for his game. And a Martin/Howard combo will easily break every Free Throw record imaginable, I have no doubt about that. But who is going to score in the 4th quarter for them? Come to think of it, the two first picks seem to go to teams with issues in the clutch. Kind of reminds you of another superstar team, doesn’t it? And somehow I feel like betting that Derek Fisher will be one of the last two picks in this draft.

Anyway, Barea will have another pick after the jump. Stay tuned

Ausgangspost

PS: Ich weiß das ich teilweise die gleichen Leute "kritisiere" (z.B. sefant). Ich hoffe keiner nimmt das persönlich, ich will hier keinen fertigmachen sondern meine das einfach nur lustig ;). Falls sich jemand angegriffen fühlt tut mir das leid. Schreibt mir eine PN, dann höre ich auf.
Und wer's nicht lustig findet: Kritik ist weiterhin gern gesehen, auch hier im Thread.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Fuffie

Nachwuchsspieler
Ausgangspost

PS: Ich weiß das ich teilweise die gleichen Leute "kritisiere" (z.B. sefant). Ich hoffe keiner nimmt das persönlich, ich will hier keinen fertigmachen sondern meine das einfach nur lustig ;). Falls sich jemand angegriffen fühlt tut mir das leid. Schreibt mir eine PN, dann höre ich auf.
Und wer's nicht lustig findet: Kritik ist weiterhin gern gesehen, auch hier im Thread.

:jubel: Ich glaube jeder hier kann dein Diary richtig einordnen und mit dem Smack umgehen, der ihm entgegen kommt (zumindest schätze ich das Teilnehmerfeld so ein ;) ). Im Draft-Thread ist es mit einigen "News-Splittern" nicht anders. Solche Beiträge bringen doch immer nochmal eine Extra Portion Spaß mit in das ganze Spiel.

Es gibt hier bei Sportforen hundert andere Situationen, in denen man sich mehr angegriffen fühlen kann (Diskussion mit Tony Jaa oder malsch im Fußballbereich, Schuh-Posting im Neuste Errungenschaften Thread, O-Scoring im Boxbereich mit resultierendem Absturz von sportforen.de etc. pp.) :D

earl-monroe

Nachwuchsspieler
The New York Times reports that Earl could make a strong case for Walt Frazier having been the best player on the 73 Knicks in response to Homer Simmons* second draft diary. But because they had Earl's favorite player of all time (yes, himself) on the roster, Simmons gets as lucky as sefant** and still has a legitimate chance of getting signed by Isiah or Riles or even David Kahn***.

*Have you ever realised, that there is no better way describing Simmons' style of journalism than with his given name?

**It's not as if he pulled a Tom Brady, but you still gotta give him credit for hooking up with that Brazilian girl.

***Never seen a 7-1 guy at the point guard position? Me neither, but at least this would be one reason to watch the T'wolves.

sefant77

Schweineliga
Ausgangspost

Meine ersten beiden Picks waren ja auch Grütze, da ich durch die tagelange Abwesenheit irgendwie vollkommen vergessen hatte daß es keine normale "Stats"-Liga ist

Love statt LMA war knapp, dann wäre wenigstens nur die Hälfte Grütze geworden. Aber Danke für den Hinweis daß es spaßig gemeint ist, bin ja eher der Sensible :clown:

H

Homer

Bei dir habe ich mir auch irgendwie weniger Sorgen gemacht ;). Aber ich "kenne" nicht jeden hier im Thread so gut.

@ earl: Großes Kino :thumb:. Du wertest den Thread definitiv auf. Falls es dazu kommt werde ich dich spätestens im HS Report mit einbeziehen :p

H

Homer

BSPN Page 2 schrieb:
The Big SFNBAFD Running Diary – Part III
by Homer Simmons
The draft considerably slowed down during the last days and so did my columns. Informed circles already talk about Simmons being ‘bigdoged’. Anyway, this is round 3:

Pick 33 (Barea): Luol Deng
Barea has two picks + Dwight Howard and decides to go for the All-Unclutch-Team 2011! Don’t get me wrong, Martin and Deng will thrive next to each other and next to Dwight. Exactly as long as you can give the Ball to your pivot. Or, to say it more clearly: Who in god’s name is going to score for this team in the last 5 minutes? If Luol Deng and Kevin Martin is your one-two-punch in crunchtime, you have a problem.

Pick 34 (Rainmaker07): Carlos Boozer
Team Rainmaker has good wings but no big so the direction was obvious. Unfortunately all decent two-way bigs were gone at this point so the choice falls upon Carlos Boozer. I will spare you with all the jokes about Boozer’s defense or how he quit on the Bulls last year but I really need to ask you this: What are the odds of Boozer and James running away from Rainmaker city leaving the fanbase shattered in tears? Dan Gilbert is laughing right now.

Pick 35 (The_Gr8): Joakim Noah
Noah goes off the table surprisingly early given his injury problems last year. But looking at the Hornets it makes sense: You’ve got more than enough scoring with Nash and Nowitzki but you want to protect Dirk on both sides of the floor (see Chandler, Tyson), you want somebody with a defensive mindset and you want a center who is fast enough to grab a rebound, toss it to Nash, run the floor and finish the alley-oop. Good pickup, I would like this team if it wasn’t for the fact that it was constructed by the commish using his evil commish powers. At least Steve Nash won’t lose another playoff series based on weird ejections.

Pick 36 (NightHawk): Tony Parker
Tony Parker, Kevin Durant, Marc Gasol. I really struggle to find a common theme here but all picks were decent pickups at the time and serve needs for Team Backpack. The only pity is that Eva Longoria isn’t included in that package anymore. Anyway, a speedy veteran playmaker is a nice pairing with Kevin Durant. Parker might actually get KD the ball in spots he likes, similar to what Eric Maynor sometimes did for the Thunder. Yes, I picked on Russell Westbrook again.

Pick 37 (Irenicus): Danny Granger, Pick 38 (G-SUS): Andre Iguodala and Pick 39 (Fuffie): Gerald Wallace
Wingapalozaa! Three Teams pick with a similar pattern here: In Round 1 they all picked superstar scorers (Dwyane Wade, Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant) and all added a Big in Round 2 (Tyson Chandler, Al Jefferson, Al Horford). Now all feel the need to pick borderline all-star Wings to round out their big three:
Irenicus picks first and chooses a decent scorer and allrounder in Danny Granger. I see the reasoning here (Wade needs spacing) but wait a second and I’ll tell you who would’ve been the better choice. It is not Andre Iguodala although he fits nicely into Team G-SUS who desperately needs some kind of defense. And it’s also not Gerald Wallace who gives Team Fuffie a Slasher next to 2011 Kobe Bryant (Come on Lakers Nation, hate me, torture me, burn BSPN flags. But it’s true, Kobe Bryant is old.)
All those guys are understandable, decent pickups. But honestly, Joe Johnson is a better player than all of them and would’ve been a wonderful second option on any of those teams (yes, G-SUS still needs a second option. Al Jefferson is not the answer). Especially compared to Danny Granger I would pick Joe Johnson every day of the week. I guess people forget that Johnson’s monster contract is not an issue in THIS league.

Pick 40 (Bulls 4ever): Monta Ellis
In Round 2 I asked who on this team is going to make 15-footers. Now they have Monta Ellis, a guy who at least believes that he makes every shot he takes (and he takes a boatload of them). I am not sure what the plan here is but wasting the best point guard defender on the planet because the guy next to him cannot guard Yi’s chair doesn’t sound like a good plan to begin with.

Pick 41 (bigdog8): "Nene" Hilario
Anthony – Randolph – Nene. Did I say Team Bigdog tries to outscore and outrebound everybody else? Call me Nostradamus.
PS: You now have three guys without discernible passing skills and with a tendency to move as much as a solid rock when they don’t have the ball. How to find decent Guards to even get the ball into the hands of those three is beyond me.

Pick 42 (Mav007): Joe Johnson
You have Pick 10, Pick 24 and Pick 42 and end up with CP3, the Dwarfslayer and JJ? Mav007 is my preliminary DSG (Draft Steal God) of this draft. Look at those three: You’ve got the offensive leader (Paul), the defensive Anchor who is most comfortable as a third option on offense (Bynum) and a second option that does lots of things well but nothing on an elite level. Looks like a very good team, right? Plus it will be great to see Chris Paul having a wing on his team who can actually score in isolation and create for others when CP3 is trapped. Oh right, we will never actually see these teams play. Damn.

Pick 43 (madferit): Stephen Curry and Pick 44 (cudi): Eric Gordon
Team madferit and Team cudi draft according to Team needs. Madferit needs a pass first Point Guard who can run the Pick and Roll with Amare and get the ball into PP’s hands and cudi needs a wing scorer to complement his monster-Pick-and-Roll. Solid pickups, for both you can argue that there are better options (most notably Jason Kidd and Rudy Gay) but in the end both could win those arguments.

Pick 45 (Mango): Lamar Odom
I really like this team…but did anybody tell Mango that Lamar Odom’s strengths are his ability to defend modern 4s and his above-average ball-handling and shooting compared to other 4s? In other words, Odom cannot play the 3 anymore. Much less guard elite 3s.
And Odom also doesn’t answer the question “Who is going to score for this team?”. Strange choice by Mango here.

Pick 46 (Sm0kE): John Wall

Sm0kE apparently doesn’t understand the rules here. Wall has unlimited potential but as of now he is a high-turnover, low-percentage guard who is often-injured. I also don’t know how he meshes with Ginobili and Gasol. The only hope is that nobody with a clear mind watches the Wizards anyway so the voters might just see “No. 1 Pick”.

Pick 47 (Vash): Rudy Gay

Vash gets another injured player to complement Andrew Bogut. Wait, we are not here to determine the “All-Hospital-Team 2011”?

Pick 48 (Sefant77): Josh Smith
Eff’ You Mode continues. Josh Smith can play the 4 and nothing else. Kevin Love can play the 4 and nothing else. Josh Smith cannot shoot jumpshoots but loves to do it anyway. Russell Westbrook cannot shoot jumpshoots but loves to do it anyway. Can you see the redundancy here? After the jump we’ll see if sefant can destroy his team even more.

http://sportforen.de/showpost.php?p=2631795&postcount=1

Danke übrigens für das viele Lob :).

Irenicus

Nachwuchsspieler
@Homer: :thumb:

P.S.: Es gibt ein wichtiges Argument pro Granger und contra Johnson. Granger ist der (deutlich) bessere off the ball Spieler wöhrend Joe Johnson nur wirklich effektiv ist, wenn er selbst den Ball in den Händen hat. Sei es im P&R, Isolation oder Postup. ;)

D-One

Nachwuchsspieler
All those guys are understandable, decent pickups. But honestly, Joe Johnson is a better player than all of them and would’ve been a wonderful second option on any of those teams (yes, G-SUS still needs a second option. Al Jefferson is not the answer). Especially compared to Danny Granger I would pick Joe Johnson every day of the week. I guess people forget that Johnson’s monster contract is not an issue in THIS league.

Lob kommt von den anderen sicherlich nachher, Kritik macht doch viel mehr Spaß. ;)

Joe Johnson hat eine furchtbare Spielzeit hinter sich. Sicherlich kann Johnson neben Wade die Drei bekleiden, aber ich finde, dass Johnson nicht annähernd so gut in das Team passt wie Granger. Dabei sind beide von der Rolle her ansatzweise zu vergleichen (erste Option in ihren Teams).

1. Johnson war in seinem Team der primäre Ballhandler. Das ist neben Wade nicht mehr möglich. Wie effektiv Johnson ohne Ball ist, ist fraglich. Granger agiert weit öfter ohen Ball, bewegt sich gut und bekommt dann seine Würfe. Das spricht ziemlich klar für Granger.
2. Johnsons Dreierquote in dieser Saison ist die siebtschlimmste der ganzen Liga unter den Shootern, die mindestens 2 Dreier pro Spiel genommen haben. Klar muss man Johnson irgendwie respektieren, wenn er auf dem Flügel steht, aber er traf die Dreier einfach nicht. 1.2 Treffer bei 4.2 Versuchen ist einfach grausam. Granger nimmt sogar einen Dreier mehr pro Spiel und trifft diesen für 38,6%. Das sind fast 10% Unterschied.

Auf Basis von 10/11 kann ich diese Argumentation überhaupt nicht verstehen. Wenn du off-the-ball-movement und Spacing willst, nimmst du in 10/11 immer Granger über Johnson. Jeden Tag der Woche. ;)

Giftpilz

Nachwuchsspieler
:thumb: @ Homer
P.S.: Es gibt ein wichtiges Argument pro Granger und contra Johnson. Granger ist der (deutlich) bessere off the ball Spieler wöhrend Joe Johnson nur wirklich effektiv ist, wenn er selbst den Ball in den Händen hat. Sei es im P&R, Isolation oder Postup. ;)

Lag das nicht vor allem daran, dass er seit Jahren keinen herausragenden Playmaker mehr an seiner Seite hatte, der ihn und vor allem die anderen Mitspieler gut einsetzte? Die Strategie war und ist ja gerade, dass Johnson das zu einem großen Teil miterledigen soll, und dafür braucht er nunmal den Ball in den Händen, und so sieht man nicht mehr viel off the ball von ihm.
Bei den Suns war das jedenfalls noch sehr ordentlich, nur gab es dort das andere Problem, dass er sich festgetackert hinter Nash und Stoudemire (und auch Marion) sah, ohne große Aussichten, selbst zum Superstar zu werden. Aber das hatte er ja jetzt - so gut es bei einem Team geht, das eher zu den grauen Mäusen der Liga gehört - dann bei den Hawks gehabt.
Wenn man nur die letzte Saison nimmt und Johnsons Dreierwerte fürchtet, ist Granger ein sicherer Pick, aber in den Playoffs funktionierte Johnson wieder ganz gut. Verlernt kann er es noch nicht haben.

D-One

Nachwuchsspieler
Lag das nicht vor allem daran, dass er seit Jahren keinen herausragenden Playmaker mehr an seiner Seite hatte, der ihn und vor allem die anderen Mitspieler gut einsetzte? Die Strategie war und ist ja gerade, dass Johnson das zu einem großen Teil miterledigen soll, und dafür braucht er nunmal den Ball in den Händen, und so sieht man nicht mehr viel off the ball von ihm.

Ich glaube nicht, dass die Hawks nun jahrelang erfolglos versuchen, für einen balldominanten Point Guard zu traden. Man hat mit Bibby, Lue oder Ivey einfach immer off-the-ball-Spieler neben Johnson gehabt. Und das in sechs Jahren, wo Johnson nun in Atlanta spielt.
Dass Johnson theoretisch (also vom Skillset her) off-the-ball funktioniert, mag sein. Ihm steht dann aber wohl eher sein Anspruch (also das Mindset) im Weg. Das ist für mich jedenfalls kein Pro-Argument für Johnson.

BTW: Ich hätte auch Eric Gordon anstelle von Johnson (bei Mav007s Pick) gewählt. Aus denselben Gründen wie Granger vor Johnson.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:

Irenicus

Nachwuchsspieler
:thumb: @ Homer

Bei den Suns war das jedenfalls noch sehr ordentlich, nur gab es dort das andere Problem, dass er sich festgetackert hinter Nash und Stoudemire (und auch Marion) sah, ohne große Aussichten, selbst zum Superstar zu werden. Aber das hatte er ja jetzt - so gut es bei einem Team geht, das eher zu den grauen Mäusen der Liga gehört - dann bei den Hawks gehabt.
Wenn man nur die letzte Saison nimmt und Johnsons Dreierwerte fürchtet, ist Granger ein sicherer Pick, aber in den Playoffs funktionierte Johnson wieder ganz gut. Verlernt kann er es noch nicht haben.

Johnson war sieben Jahre kein off the ball spieler! Sieben Jahre! Wie soll ich denn in einer Diskussion seine off the ball Qualitäten anpreisen, wenn er über einen so langen Zeitraum eine ganz andere Rolle gespielt hat.

Wenn dann noch die Quoten so unterschiedlich sind, erübrigt sich eigentlicgh jede Diskussion. Fast 10% bei mehr Versuchen sind ein krasser Unterschied, der durch nichts aufgewogen werden kann. Dein Verweis auf die Playoff quote ist nur ein Scheinargument, weil es vorgaukelt, dass Johnson in den Playoffs wieder effizient scorte. Das tat er aber nachweislich nicht, siehe TS% oder Offensivrating.

Ich frage dich also nochmal: wie soll ich - wenn die letzte Saison die wichtigste Datenbasis darstellt - Johnsons off the ball qualitäten und Shooting/effizientes Spiel anpreisen, wenn er diesbezüglich in Vergleich zu Granger nichts gezeigt hat?

rukiddin?

Nachwuchsspieler
joe johnson ist so überschätzt, es ist schon fast nicht mehr lustig...
....aber nur fast :laugh2:

wenn man böse wär könnte man sowas wie "best paid scrub ever" sagen :D

ich mein ws/48 von 0,037 in 56 playoffspielen ist schon ne hausnummer^^

Oben