Young Guns - Prospects der Boxszene - ohne HW

timeout4u

Bankspieler
Da es ja einen Thread über Hot Prospects im HW gibt, habe ich halt wegen des folgenden interessanten Artikels einen für andere Gewichtsklassen aufgemacht.

Von Steve Farhood auf boxing-monthly

It’s been the kiss of death for many a promising career, but still we allow boxing albatross STEVE FARHOOD to name the fighters he thinks might break through in 2005.

The best fighter in the world, Bernard Hopkins, turns 40 in January, and more than half of the pound-for-pound Top 10 is comprised of fighters 30 years of age and older. Nonetheless, there are a handful of prospects out there who will eventually dominate the sport. All they need is experience and opportunity — and for some of those thirty somethings to start acting their age. Here’s a look at 10 such U.S.-based fighters, listed in no particular order, who just might break out in 2005. The criteria? Nothing more than 10 fights of professional experience and relative anonymity.

YUSAF MACK super middleweight, Philadelphia, 17-0-2 (11 KOs)

What’s been missing is not talent; Mack can skilfully box and punch and defend himself. It’s been extra effort. Mack, 24, needs to turn up the volume.
“You’ve seen him at 70 percent,” said Percy Custus, who trains and manages Mack. “He hasn’t been in the best of shape yet. He has five kids and a lot of distractions, and he doesn’t eat like he should.

“The fight he wants is Jeff Lacy. A couple more fights and he’s coming right at him. You’ll see how he gets up for Lacy [whom Mack fought in the amateurs].” In May, the 6ft 1ins Mack showed promise fighting to an eight-round draw vs Randy Griffin, who was 17-1. He also benefits from top-level sparring in Philly with the likes of Charles Brewer, Aaron Mitchell, and Steve Cunningham. The super middle class needs young talent. Look for Mack to help fill the void.

ALMAZBEK RAIYMKULOV lightweight, Las Vegas via Kyrgyzstan, 19-0 (11 KOs) To save countless typographical errors, he’s been renamed “Kid Diamond,” and the 27-year-old puncher sparkled underneath Barrera-Morales III, dropping and stopping useful former contender Lamar Murphy in five rounds.

Four years ago, Uzbekistan’s Mohammed Abdullaev, Ruslan Chagaev, and Kuvanych Toygonbayev invaded Las Vegas. All three have been somewhat successful (the first two have moved back to Europe), but the late-blooming Diamond might turn out to be better than all of them. Trained by Australia’s Steve Rowlands, he’s a vicious bodypuncher.

“He’s a very offensive-minded fighter,” said Bruce Trampler, matchmaker for Top Rank, which promotes Diamond. “He’s mature and strong and smart. Putting him in with Murphy was similar to when we put Miguel Cotto in with Cesar Bazan. I’d turn him loose right now with [lightweight titlists] Julio Diaz and Juan Diaz, but he needs a couple of fights.”

In his four most recent bouts, the 5ft 7ins Diamond, who has been compared to Kostya Tszyu, has faced opponents with a combined record of 60-16-1. He’s scored four KOs in a total of nine rounds. This is an advanced prospect.

PETER MANFREDO junior middleweight, Providence, Rhode Island, 21-0 (10 KOs)
The fighters and their respective camps are sworn to secrecy, but it’s common knowledge on Bash Boulevard that Manfredo has made the finals of the prime-time NBC series The Contender, which premieres early in the new year. In the spring, he’ll meet Sergio Mora, 12-0 (3 KOs), in the championship match, to be broadcast live. Should Manfredo win, the career-boost will be both huge and unique. Manfredo, who is trained and managed by his father, Peter Manfredo Sr, is a well-schooled boxer with a commendable work ethic. He’s been criticised for featuring featherfists, but his punching power has improved.

“Peter reminds me of a Willie Pep type of boxer,” said Jimmy Burchfield, who promotes the 24-year-old. “He’s able to think, and a lot of fighters can’t. When he faced Sherwin Davis [who was 17-0], a lot of people said I shouldn’t have taken that fight. But he chopped him down, first the body, then the head.” In addition to Davis, Manfredo has stopped a faded Frankie Randall and outpointed Anthony Bonsante and prospect-buster Grady Brewer. But it’s his bout vs Mora that will shape his career.

PAUL WILLIAMS welterweight/junior middleweight, Augusta, Georgia, 25-0 (19 KOs) Williams hails from the home of The Masters golf tournament. But while Tiger Woods and Ernie Els don’t seem to mind that Phil Mickelson competes as a tall left-hander, potential opponents hold that against Williams. The lanky 23-year-old prospect struggles to secure fights, which is par for the course when you’re a talented southpaw.

“Paul is a quiet assassin to me,” said matchmaker Ron Katz, who has worked extensively with Williams. “He’s a left-handed version of Thomas Hearns.” Williams hasn’t yet faced world-class opposition, but his potential was displayed in May, when he shut out Ecuadorian welterweight Luis Hernandez, who was 11-0. One month later, Hernandez engaged highly touted welter prospect Chris Smith in a 10-round shootout that was quite competitive.

Williams, who is trained and managed by George Peterson, fires in combination and features a strong straight left. But it’s what happens when he gets hit that has impressed Katz.

“When he fought [Mexican veteran] Rodolfo Gomez in February, he got hit two or three really good shots in the second round,” Katz said. “He fought back like hell and destroyed him [KO4].

“Three or four more fights and I’d put him in with Kermit Cintron.”

MIKE ARNAOUTIS junior welterweight, Atlantic City via Greece, 11-0-2 (5 KOs) Before August, Arnaoutis was a slick but safety-first southpaw inching along on the Maryland clubshow circuit. But in his debut on “ShoBox”, he traded for 12 draining rounds with heavy-handed fellow prospect Juan Urango, 13-0. The best fight of the “ShoBox” season was scored a draw.

When the 25-year-old Arnaoutis followed with a first-round knockout of the usually durable and far more experienced Jesse Feliciano, the talent-laden 140-pound class added yet another potential star.

“It was pretty obvious Mike was a skilled boxer with really fast hands,” said USA Today boxing writer Dan Rafael, “but he didn’t show any power or desire to knock out his opponent, and I wasn’t too interested in seeing more of him. Then came the great Urango fight and the knockout of Feliciano. He’s showing a much more exciting style, and he’s one of the younger guys to really keep an eye on.”

Arnaoutis is trained by Bill Johnson and managed by Gina Iacovou.

KELLY PAVLIK middleweight, Las Vegas via Youngstown, Ohio, 23-0 (18 KOs) Jermain Taylor aside, where have all the young middleweights gone? Well, don’t look here because the 6ft 2ins Pavlik won’t be making 160 pounds for long.

Only 22, Pavlik has been moved quite slowly. His most recent win was perhaps his toughest test, and that came against veteran Ross Thompson, who had won two of his previous nine. Nonetheless, he’s a physical specimen — virtually no body fat — who flaunts fight-ending power.

“He’s had a lot of defensive lapses, as so many punchers do,” said Trampler.

“But on several occasions I’ve seen him drill a guy and I’ve said to myself that not too many fighters, regardless of weight class, could take a punch like that.”

Managed by Cameron Dunkin, trained by Jack Loew, and promoted by Top Rank, Pavlik will likely face a Top 10 contender before the end of ’05. Trampler compares him to Joe Calzaghe. Maybe he’ll turn out to be the fighter who succeeds the Welshman at the top of the super middleweight class.

STEVE CUNNINGHAM cruiserweight, Philadelphia, 16-0 (9 KOs) Already a Top 10 cruiser (it doesn’t take much), the 6ft 3ins Cunningham remains a secret because of minimal television exposure. Trained by Rich Giachetti and promoted by Don King, the 28-year-old boxer-puncher has proved his mettle; in May, he travelled to South Africa and outlasted former contender Sebastian Rothmann over 10 tough rounds.

“He showed he can win fights like that, and he did it on the road,” said Eric Bottjer, King’s matchmaker. “But the fight that impressed me was against Forrest Neal [in October]. Neal isn’t an easy guy to fight, and he was coming off a win over Kenny Lunkins, who was 16-0. Cunningham took him apart [KO4].” Cunningham is well-schooled and disciplined. King promotes most of the 190-pound titleholders, so look for the Philadelphian to secure a shot in ’05.

STEVE LUEVANO featherweight/junior lightweight, La Puente, California, 26-0 (12 KOs) Another Top Rank-promoted Hispanic prospect, Luevano, 23, is a technically sound southpaw. But he’s no bonebreaker, so he’ll be a hard sell in the action-packed lighter weight classes.

Luevano is managed by Cameron Dunkin and trained by Steve Rowlands.

“Steve is more advanced than Pavlik,” said Trampler. “He’s a pretty consistent fighter. He’s a clean-living kid who’s completely dedicated. He’s not a runner, but he’s not the most aggressive guy in the world. He does enough to win.”

Despite the fact that he’s already ranked in some alphabet Top 10s, Luevano hasn’t faced stiff competition. His best win, a 10th-round stoppage, came against Fred Neal, who was 17-2-2. Otherwise, it’s been a steady diet of trialhorses, albeit ones with winning records.

Be sure that in ’05, Luevano will be tested for the first time at the world-class level.

ROBERT GUERRERO featherweight, Gilroy, California, 13-0-1 (6 KOs) Even though he hails from the garlic capital of the world, Guerrero has been a breath of fresh air. Sharp defensive skills have earned the 5ft 10ins southpaw the nickname “The Ghost”, but he’s recently added muscle to his game. After winning on points in eight of his first nine bouts, Guerrero, 21, has stopped his five most recent victims, including former world champion Enrique Sanchez, who lasted eight rounds in June.

Guerrero is trained by John Bray and managed by Bob Santos.

The problem for the former amateur star (at age 16, Guerrero lost to Clarence Vinson in the 2000 Olympic Trials) has been activity.

“He’s finally grown into his manhood,” said Tom Brown, matchmaker for Goossen-Tutor Promotions, which guides The Ghost. “The key is keeping him healthy. He’s had elbow and hand problems. Every time we get rolling, we have to postpone the next fight. But if he’s injury-free in ’05, we’ll be looking at the Rocky Juarezes of the world.”

As we went to press, Guerrero was scheduled to face rugged Mexican Cesar Figueroa, 28-4-1 (20 KOs), on 9 December.

SHAMONE ALVAREZ welterweight, Atlantic City, 9-0 (7 KOs) Okay, so this 5ft 7ins southpaw falls one fight short of the criteria. Moreover, he’s compiled only 18 rounds of professional experience. But Alvarez’s first-round KO of smooth boxer Mohammed Kayongo in November earned him a spot.

A natural right-hander, Alvarez, 27, punches strongly with both hands, which can’t be said of most southpaws. Trained by Arnold Robbins, he’s overwhelmed six of his seven KO victims in the opening round. His style is simple: He seeks and destroys from the opening bell.

“At 8-0, you never know what you’re gonna get,” said Gordon Hall, executive producer of “ShoBox,” which broadcast Alvarez’s knockout of Kayongo. “We knew Alvarez had heavy hands, but like most 8-0 fighters, he hadn’t fought good competition. He was really a six-round fighter. But he turned out to be one of ShoBox’s nice surprises of 2004.

“It was a great introduction to a national audience, and it came against his toughest opponent to date.”

Rapidfire

Nachwuchsspieler
Italienisches Boxen ist ja oftmals sehr langweilig imo, aber die haben auch einige interessante junge Leute da im Stiefel. Domenico Spada, Simone Maludrottu, Sven Paris und Michele Di Rocco waren ja bereits teilweise mehrmals auf Eurosport zu sehen und haben mir allesamt nicht schlecht gefallen. Vor allem Maludrottu hat´s mir angetan. Der hatte zwei richtig gute Kämpfe um den EBU-Titel letztes Jahr und hat da eine richtig gute Workrate an den Tag gelegt. Ich würde ihn gerne gegen Sidorenko sehen, interessantes Duell.

tullipan

Nachwuchsspieler
Ein "hot prospect" aus deutscher Sicht ist für mich auf jeden Fall der junge Supermittelgewichtler Lukas Wilaschek, der ja erst seit September einen Profivertrag (bei Spotlight, Hamburg) hat. Wenn auch als Amateur nicht immer 100% erforlgreich, so ist sein Profidasein bisher absolut prefekt gelaufen (3 Kämpfe, 3 Siege, 3xTKO). Ich bin auf jeden Fall gespannt, inwieweit sich der junge Mann in 2005 etablieren kann.

S

sabatai

@Tullipan

Wilaschek und Zbik haben mir beide bisher ganz gut gefallen - sind beide sehr sympathisch, technisch gut ausgebildet und haben Herz. Obs mal zu nem Titel reicht wird sich zeigen...

:wavey:

Rapidfire

Nachwuchsspieler
Yep, Wilaschek und Zbik gefallen mir auch beide recht gut bisher. Besonders Wilaschek, der bei den Amateuren komischerweise nicht zu meinen Favoriten zählte. Hoffentlich machen die Beiden es besser als Ihre ex-Amateurkollegen Küchler und Schuster.

CocaCoala

Nachwuchsspieler
sabatai schrieb:
@Tullipan

Wilaschek und Zbik haben mir beide bisher ganz gut gefallen - sind beide sehr sympathisch, technisch gut ausgebildet und haben Herz. Obs mal zu nem Titel reicht wird sich zeigen...

zbik boxt zwar technisch relativ sauber, aber in der deckung hat er doch so seine mängel, wie man in seinem letzten kampf in sölden sehen konnte...dazu scheint er auch nicht unbedingt mit einem "dampfhammer" ausgestattet zu sein. aber im prinzip gefällt er mir auch gut. muss nur noch ein bisschen oder auch ein bisschen viel an sich arbeiten, dann wär durchaus mal ne EM oder auch mehr drin!!

Teddy78

Nachwuchsspieler
als ich den Artikel über Greenberg gelesen hab, da stand auch was über Light Heavyweight Jaidon Codrington drin, hier mal der auszug.....

Greenberg and Codrington stay unbeaten!

The fighter that bares the most watching is Jaidon Codrington, from Bridgeport, CT, but now living in Queens, NY. He too had a tough opponent. The difference here is that Codrington, 7-0 (7), did the only thing he could do, he got rid of him as fast as he could. Glen Rayburn, 168 ½, from Delaware, OH, put up as much fight as he could against the poised, slick boxing power puncher. Rayburn, 13-4-1 (8), tried to attack, but although he did manage to cut Codrington, 170, near the left eye, his punches fell short. By the middle of the first round Rayburn's right eye was swelling. Near the end of the round a left hook put Rayburn down. The round ended as soon as he got up.

After starting the second stanza carefully, circling to his left, Codrington opened up a two handed assault along the ropes that prompted referee Wayne Kelly to stop the fight at the 2:45 mark of the round.

Codrington ist 20 Jahre und hat nen Rec von 7-0-0 bei 7 KO's.

BoxRec Link: http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=260445

hat den schon mal jemand gesehen? timeout vllt? weil der klingt ja durchaus interessant.

Teddy78

Nachwuchsspieler
ich hab mich mal ein bisserl selbst über Codrington versucht schlau zu machen.
hab rausbekommen, das er 2002 die National Golden Gloves gewonnen hat.

und noch ein Interview mit Codrington:

Boxingtalk's Fire With Jaidon Codrington
By Jose "OnFire" Aguirre

Chin: 1. the lower portion of the face lying below the lower lip and including the prominence of the lower jaw
2.The surface beneath or between the branches of the lower jaw

Checker: 1. one that checks
2. an employee who checks out purchases is a self-service store

Jaidon Codrington falls under these two words as they are described in the Webster Dictionary. He checks chins. While some may check out purhcases, Jaidon checks out opponents. He is the one put in place to check a chin and see if it stands up to the crash dummy test. So far he's been doing well on the job and finding many defaults. Six have stepped up and they have all been checked. Now he goes back to work on Friday, Janaury 28th at the Hammerstein Ballroom when he steps into the ring against Joe Rayburn. Boxingtalk was able to talk with the undefeated light heavyweight and get his thoughts on thing.

Jose Aguirre: Jaidon how's everything going with you?

Jaidon Codrington: "Everything is good. Working hard. Training hard. Getting ready for this first eight rounder."

JA: You have a fight on 28th of this month. How's training going for this fight?

JC: "Training is going real well. We're just fine tuning and getting sharper. All hard work is done and out of the way. I'm in shape and I'm ready. Getting some last preparations, fixing my defense to adjust to this particular guy I'm fighting."

JA: What do you know about your opponent and what can you tell us about him?

JC: "He comes to fight. He's an exciting fighter. He's going to be in my face all the time. He's real tough and takes an excellent punch. He's going to be right there for me the whole fight. He likes to start early. He likes to go there and fight in the first round. I expect him to come out like a rocket in the first round. It's going to be an exciting fight."

JA: What do you plan on doing to neutralize what he tries to do to you?

JC: "I plan to give him alot of head fakes. Flinches. Make him miss and make him pay. I plan to box him alot. Use my jabd and at times I plan to fight him."

JA: You'll be back at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Do you plan on making that your house?

JC: "Definitely. That's the house of the Chin Checkers. We get alot of love at the Hammerstein Ballroom. Alot of fans and alot of support. Chin Checkers plan to make that our house and maybe the Garden in the future."

JA: What can we expect from Jaidon as well as the Chin Checkers in 2005?

JC: "Big things. Like I told you I'll tell everybody esle the same. This is the year of the Chin Checkers. We're going to be the biggest prospects in the nation. Not just the east coast or the south. Or the west coast. But the nation. We want to be competing with prospects like gold medalist and such. We plan to step it up a level and hopefully by the end of the year we'll be headlining Broadway Boxing. Maybe bigger and better things by the time the year is over."

JA: How anxious are you to check another chin?

JC: "Oh man it's all I dream about. I can taste it. I can feel it in the hands."

JA: Is there anything you want to say in closing?

JC: "Yeah, when you watch the Chin Checkers, don't blink."
Quelle: Boxingtalk

Teddy78

Nachwuchsspieler
mal was hier für:

ich hab mir gestern den Fight von Jaidon Codrington angesehen, und muss sagen :thumb: gefällt mir sehr gut der Junge.....
sein Einmarsch ist natürlich Ultra-Peinlich, mit dem Mafia Beginn dann in HipHop übergehend (logisch sein In-ring Name ist ja: "The Don"), dazu ungefähr 10 andere Schwarze die alle auf dicke Hose machen, am lächerlichsten der ganz in Pelz gekleidete Typ, mit dicker Sonnenbrille.... :rolleyes:
aber zu Codrington zurück....wie die meisten jungen Boxer, hält er nit viel von Deckung, hat aber ein recht gutes Auge, hat nen Super Handspeed (imo), und kann auch hinlangen.
was auffiel, er bekam direkt in der ersten Runde einen Cut, ob das jetzt auf Cut anfälligkeit hindeutet, sei mal dahingestellt....
sein Gegner, Rayburn, war technisch um ne Klasse schlechter, hatte aber keinen schlechten Rec (13-3-1) und konnte Gut Punchen, aber war nicht mal ansatzweise so schnell wie Jaidon.
im endeffekt überzeugender Sieg, auch wenn Jaidon in der ersten Runde ein paar Probs hatte, diese wischte er aber mit dem krachenden Linken Haken, kurz vor ende von Runde 1, weg...dieser beförderte Rayburn locker auf die Bretter. In der 2. Runde Codrington wie aufgedreht, und schlägt immer wieder sau-schnelle Combos......Kurz vor Ende der 2. Runde nimmt der Ref (Kelly) den völlig überforderten Rayburn aus dem Kampf (nachdem Rayburn 2-3 Serien an den Seilen lehnend nahm,ohne Gegenwehr).....
überzeugender Aufritt von Codrington.
er ist nun 7-0-0 bei 7 KO's.
:thumb:

nochmal die Frage, hat einer ihn schon mal vorher gesehen und ne Meinung zu ihm?

timeout4u

Bankspieler
Ich kenne den Codrington nur aus einem Amateurkampf. Da hat ihn der Andre Direll mit einem linken Haken böse ausgeknockt. :D Ansonsten hat der Codrington viele Amateurfights verloren. Lag natürlich daran, dass sein Stil für die Profis besser geeignet ist. :laugh2: Ansonsten kann man natürlich aus jedem besseren Amateurboxer bei den Profis erstmal ne Knockoutmaschine kreieren, das ist nicht das Problem. Aber gegen handverlesene Gegner jetzt schon so auf Show zu machen, lässt meiner Einschätzung nach nicht unbedingt auf viel Größeres schließen. Judah hat ja wenigstens noch Potential und auch als Amateur einiges erreicht, aber Codrington? Schätze, der wird irgendwann in der Aufbauphase von einem echten Prüfstein auf die Bretter geschickt werden, sofern denn mal einer dieser Kategorie seinen Weg kreuzt.

Teddy78

Nachwuchsspieler
@timeout: ich hab mir gerade die Fights von den Brüdern Andre und Anthony Dirrell von Freitag angesehen, Andre ist auf jeden Fall boxerisch besser als Codrington, und auch Anthony ist sehr gut. Das Codrington bei den Amateuren nit Super war kann ich mir bei seinem BoxStil vorstellen, weil ohne Deckung mit viel Show... :rolleyes:
aber wer weiß, vllt. wird ja was aus ihm...
was hälst du von Andre's kleinem Bruder Anthony?

auch der Kanadische Olypionike Jean Pascal hat gestern seinen 2 Kampf bestritten, mit nem TKO Sieg in Runde 1 gegen Jesse Londo.
kenne Pascal nur vom Oylpischen Turnier, und da hatte er ja nit viel glück....hast du auch ne Meinung zu Pascal?

timeout4u

Bankspieler
HILFE. :cry: Wie gesagt, es gibt viele, viele gute Boxer und mit dem richtigen Team und ner Portion Glück und Magie kann Direll Champ werden, Pascal auch und sogar der Wilaschek oder der Codrington. Zur richtigen Zeit am richtigen Ort den richtigen Gegner ist ein Geheimnis auf dem Weg nach oben. Es kann viel bis dahin passieren und boxerische Anlagen zu einem ODH, zu einem Roy Jones, Mike Tyson oder Sven Ottke oder Klitschko haben viele. Kommt drauf an, was u.a. der Trainer und das Team daraus formt. Alle deiner Genannten haben Potential, der Rest ist Arbeit und Glaube und da man in die Zukunft nur selten Einblick hat, weiß ich heute noch nicht, was aus diesen Boxern einmal werden kann. Zumal ich ja auch nicht ihr Trainer oder sonst was bin. ;)

Teddy78

Nachwuchsspieler
na gut, will dich ja nit überfordern :p
wollte ja nur wissen was für ein Potenzial du bei Anthony Dirrell und Jean Pascal siehst, da du beide bestimmt von den Amateuren besser kennst, als ich....

Rapidfire

Nachwuchsspieler
Daniel Ponce De Leon hat am Donnerstag seinen IBF-Title-Eliminator gegen Clestino Caballero im Superbantamgewicht verloren. De Leon war bis dahin ja ungeschlagen und bei vielen hoch eingeschätzt. Hat jemand den Kampf irgendwo im Internet (Torrents) gesehen ?

Teddy78

Nachwuchsspieler
Rapidfire schrieb:
Daniel Ponce De Leon hat am Donnerstag seinen IBF-Title-Eliminator gegen Clestino Caballero im Superbantamgewicht verloren. De Leon war bis dahin ja ungeschlagen und bei vielen hoch eingeschätzt. Hat jemand den Kampf irgendwo im Internet (Torrents) gesehen ?

jau, hab ich, und ich kann mich nur einreihen in das was bis jetzt alle gesagt haben: "Possible Fight of the Year Candidate" !!!! :belehr:
war einfach ein genialer Fight
:jubel: :jubel: :jubel:

Rapidfire

Nachwuchsspieler
In Cleveland, Ohio, USA läuft am Freitag eine interessante Veranstaltung. Neben dem Pro-Debut der Gebrüder Bey, gibt sich Ricardo Williams Jr. bei einem Comebackversuch die Ehre. Ist ja schon ein hochtalentierter Boxer, bin mal gespannt, ob der nochmal den Dreh bekommt.

@ timeout

Weisst Du wie ernst es Williams mit diesem Comeback ist und wie beurteilst Du seine Chancen für die Zukunft, er ist ja noch sehr jung ?

timeout4u

Bankspieler
@Rapidfire

Auf die Schnelle: Wenn er aus seinen Fehlern der Vergangenheit gelernt hat: Vielleicht! Aber ich denke eher, dass es mit ihm nichts mehr Großes wird.

Oben